Learning Assistant Program
General Catalog: Taken as a 186 in Geology (GEL). Contact email@example.com for CRN.
Units: 1 plus one additional unit through collaborative department
Prerequisite: Consent of the instructor required.
Grading: letter grade
GE credit: none
When Offered: Fall, Winter, Spring
Lecturer: Mary-Betty Stevenson
Class size: 1 section of about 30 students
Lecture/Discussion: 1 hour weekly
Internship: Approximately 3 hours per week. Introductory Math/Science courses at UC Davis.
Become a Learning Assistant at UC Davis
What is the UC Davis CalTeach/MAST Learning Assistant (LA) Program?
The Learning Assistant (LA) Program was initiated by the CalTeach/MAST program with the following goals in mind:
- enhance the learning experience of undergraduate students
- build a sense of community among STEM undergraduate students
- create a supportive learning environment particularly for those from underrepresented groups.
Undergraduate students will work as assistants to the class Teaching Assistant (TA) in Math (Calculus), Chemistry, Physics, Biology and Chemical Engineering.
- Learning Assistants are undergraduates. They will not have primary responsibility for a small-group section, nor will they be responsible for grading assigned work, holding office hours, or any other designated TA duty.
- "Graduate Student Employment Handbook for Teaching Assistants and Associates In_"
- LAs assist the TA and instructor as part of their academic learning experience. They must always work under the supervision of a Teaching Assistant and/or instructor.
- The LA program is designed to be an active and productive experience in which the LAs interact directly with enrolled students by facilitating small group instruction and learning.
- LAs may be given the opportunity to lead whole-group discussions discussions if and only if the TA or instructor is present throughout and actively available for guidance.
UC Davis CalTeach/MAST program
Learning Assistant Coordinator
1362 Earth and Physical Sciences Building
firstname.lastname@example.org | 530-754-1056