Learning Assistant Program
General Catalog: Taken as a 186 in Geology (GEL). Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for CRN.
Units: 1 plus one additional unit through collaborative department
Prerequisite: Consent of the instructor required.
Grading: letter grade
GE credit: none
When Offered: Fall, Winter, Spring
Lecturer: Mary-Betty Stevenson
Class size: 1 section of about 30 students
Lecture/Discussion: 1 hour weekly
Internship: Approximately 3 hours per week. Introductory Math/Science courses at UC Davis.
Become a Learning Assistant at UC Davis
The Learning Assistant (LA) Program was created by the CalTeach/MAST program with the following goals in mind:
- enhance the learning experience of undergraduate students
- build a sense of community among undergraduate students
- create a supportive learning environment for those from underrepresented groups
Students will work alongside the class Teaching Assistant (TA) in Math (Calculus), Chemistry, Physics, Biology and Chemical Engineering.
The Learning Assistant (LA) Program facilitates collaboration between two entities — the UC Davis CalTeach/MAST program and the host STEM department/instructors. It is designed to provide a valuable and informative academic experience for both the undergraduates in sections that utilize LAs and for the LAs themselves
- Learning Assistants are undergraduates. They will not have primary responsibility for a small-group section, nor will they be responsible for grading assigned work, holding office hours, or any other designated TA duty.
- "Graduate Student Employment Handbook for Teaching Assistants and Associates In_"
- LAs are interning with the TA and instructor as part of their academic learning experience. They must always work under the supervision of a TA and/or instructor.
- The LA program is designed to be an active internship where the LAs have the opportunity to interact with students by facilitating small group instruction.
- LAs may be given the opportunity to lead whole group discussions as long as the TA or instructor is present and actively available for guidance.
UC Davis CalTeach/MAST program
Learning Assistant Coordinator
1362 Earth and Physical Sciences Building
email@example.com | 530-754-1056