How Do I Become a Substitute Teacher?

In order to become a substitute teacher in the Davis Joint Unified School District (DJUSD), follow these steps: (Please note some of these steps have been modified in response to COVID-19)

  1. The Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC) authorizes substitute teacher permits. Visit their website and click the "Apply for a New Document" icon.
  2. Click "Submit a Paper Application" and fill out Application Form 41-4: Application for Credential Authorizing Public School Service (located under "Step 1"). To ensure your application is legible, it is recommended that you complete the application online before printing it out. You must use the current version of Application Form 41-4.
  3. Complete and gather any other supporting documents needed. (i.e. Live Scan, Test Scores, Official Transcripts). Processing Fees have been waived due to COVID-19.
  4. Mail in your application packet along with additional documents to:
          Commission on Teacher Credentialing
          Certification Division
          1900 Capitol Avenue
          Sacramento, CA 95811-4213
  5. Once mailed, you will receive an email from the CTC with further instructions on Application Status. Please Note: This process may take a couple of months before becoming authorized. We strongly recommend completing this process early.
  6. After receiving your authorization, you can then apply for Substitute Positions in your area through

How do I complete Application Form 41-4: Application for Credential Authorizing Public School Service?

  1. Personal Information → Fill out all necessary information
  2. Application Type Requested → Select “New Credential/Permit”
  3. Choose Document Type → Under “SUBSTITUTE PERMITS”, select “30-Day Substitute”
  4. Select Authorization/Subject Area(s) → Skip
  5. Child Development Permit Renewal: Self-Verification → Skip
  6. Professional Fitness Questions → Fill out all necessary information
  7. Child Abuse and Neglect Mandated Reporting →  Fill out all necessary information
  8. Employing Agency Information → Skip
  9. Oath and Affidavit → Fill out all necessary information

What supporting documents do I need to become a substitute teacher?

  • Bachelor’s Degree
  • Pass the CBEST
  • Official Transcripts
    • Order your Official Transcripts through or your college’s student website.
      • Choose “Order Paper Hard-Copy Transcript(s)” and follow the directions.
      • You will receive your transcripts in the mail after a couple of weeks.
    • Official transcripts can be opened from the original envelope so an educator can verify these for accuracy.
  • Live Scan
    • Print out the 41-LS Form: Request for Live Scan Service. This form is available on the CTC's Fingerprint Information page under “Live Scan Form Information.” You must use the current version of 41-LS Form.
    • Visit your local fingerprinting service.
    • Fee: $69 (11/2021)

What if I have further questions?

If you have any further questions, please contact Susann Pinter, CalTeach/MAST Academic Coordinator at or Mikaela Huang, Administrative Assistant at